Home About Us About the College

About the College

The Muslims of Vaniyambadi established the Vaniyambadi Muslim Educational Society in 1901 with a view to translate the message of Sir Syed Ahmed Khan to provide secular education to the people of Arcot region in general and Muslims in particular. The Society was registered in 1905 under Society Registration Act  XXI of  1860 and  started Islamiah Elementary School in 1903.The founding fathers of the Society were Janab T.Hajee Badruddin Sahib, Janab Malang Hayath Batcha Sahib, Janab T. Ameenuddin Sahib and Janab Malang Ahmed Batcha Sahib. The full-fledged Islamiah High School came into existence in 1912. In 1916, the Society resolved to establish Islamiah College and the foundation stone of the College was laid by His Excellency Lord Pentland, the then Governer of Madras Presidency. With princely donations from the Muslim philanthropists, the College was started in 1919 and got recognition from July 1921. The building in which the College is housed at present was opened by Nawab C.Abdul Hakeem Sahib who gave a munificent donation of Rs. 50,000 to the Society.

In 1946, the College was upgraded as a Degree College offering two year degree courses in B.A Economics and B.Com. In 1954, B.A Group1(b) Mathematics was started. In 1956, the College got affiliation for the Pre-university and the three year degree courses, B.A., B.Sc., and B.Com., were started in 1957. The University accorded permission to start B.Sc. Zoology and B.A. History in 1967. M.A. History was started in 1974, M.Com. in 1975, and M.Sc. Mathematics in 1976.

Consequent upon the shedding of the Pre-university Course with effect from 1979, the College offers instructions for Degree and Postgraduate Courses only. The College has further introduced new courses like B.Sc. Branch III Physics Major in 1981-82 and B.A. Branch XV Corporate Secretaryship in 1982-83 and in the year 1983-84, the College got affiliation in B.A. Industrial Organisation (Leather), a rural-based job-oriented course proposed by the College and approved by the University. B.Sc. Branch XI Biochemistry was started in 1985-86. The College has been recognised as a research institution for Ph.D. in Commerce from the academic year 1986-87. During 1986-87, the College further introduced M.Phil. Course (Full Time) in Commerce and M.Sc. Chemistry under aided stream. The College got affiliation for M.Phil. (Part time) in Mathematics and B.Sc. Computer Science in 1988-89 and for M.Phil. (Part Time) in History in 1993-94 and Ph.D. in History in 1996.

The College got affiliation for M.Sc. Biochemistry in the year 1998-99 under self-financing scheme. The College has introduced M.Sc. Computer Science during 1999-2000 under self-financing scheme. The College got affiliation for M.Phil. (Full Time) Mathematics in 2000-01.

The College has introduced UGC supported vocational subject Biotechnology in the year 2001-02 under B.Sc. Degree (Non-Semester) courses in Biochemistry, Chemistry and Zoology.  Consequent to the establishment of Thiruvalluvar University, our College has been affiliated to this new University from the academic year 2003-04.

The College had a humble beginning in 1919 has now grown up to a full-fledged P.G. and Research Institution catering to the needs of the rural lot who would have otherwise not dreamt of taking a Research Degree.  Now the Management has come forward to introduce new courses in the Evening College.

The College has started functioning as Day College (Shift I) and Evening College (Shift II) from the month of August 1999. The Evening College offers Self-Financing courses in M.Sc. Physics, M.Sc. Computer Science and B.C.A., and thus the College is bound to expand by leaps and bounds and is destined to take a great leap forward in the new courses (Both Aided and Self-Financing).

M.Phil. (Chemistry) and B.C.A. Computer Applications were started in 2000, Ph.D. Chemistry and Mathematics in 2005, M.Phil. Physics in 2007, M.Phil. Biochemistry in 2009, B.A. English Literature, B.Sc. Software Computer Science, M.A. English Literature, M.Sc. Biotechnology and Ph.D. in Physics in 2010.  Recently M.Phil in Computer Science and Biotechnology as well as Ph.D in Biotechnology and Biochemistry were started from the academic year 2013-14 and 2016-17 respectively.

The College has earned for Vaniyambadi a place in the educational map of India. It is located amidst green fields and wide spaces presenting a natural environment. Its well-ventilated, spacious lecture halls, well-equipped laboratories and good library, Dr. Allama Iqbal Auditorium and the imposing two-storeyed Malang Endowment Hostel speak volumes for the interest of the Muslim Community of Vaniyambadi in providing facilities for higher education. The College was accredited by NAAC with ‘A’ grade during 2004-2009 and reaccredited by NAAC with "A" grade again from Feb. 2014 to 2019.

The College keeps its portals open to the members of all castes and communities. From its very inception it has drawn members in its establishments, staff and students from all communities.

College Timeline:

College started functioning

Affiliated to University of Madras

Post-Graduate institution

Research Centre

Affiliated to Thiruvalluvar University

Autonomous

1919

1921

1974

1986

2002

2010

Islamiah College (Autonomous)
Newtown,
Vaniyambadi - 635 752
Tamil Nadu, INDIA.
Phone: +91 4174 235206